S.E.H Kelly - British countries

Yes en flanelle.

Cool, doublé en satin en plus donc c’est bien confort.

1 « J'aime »

Hello one and all.

I hope everyone has had a good start to the year. It’s been truly smashing here, if you overlook Covid, Brexit, and something else mildly catastrophic which has temporarily slipped my mind.

But all in all, we’ve had a productive start to the year, and are rather ahead of ourselves in the « make stuff for spring » schedule. We’ve already put online a few jackets — the SB3, pyjama top, and the new DB — and will for the rest of the week be concentrating putting online trousers (starting with the return of the slim trouser today).

I jested at the top about things about which, of course, one shouldn’t really jest. We’ve hit a few stumbling blocks because of Brexit and Covid, which I suspect has affected at least one or two gentlemen on this forum. In late December, DPD decided that crossing the channel by vehicle wasn’t a good idea, so returned to us all of our Europe-bound pre-Christmas parcels. This happened again two weeks ago, for similar « maybe Brexit, maybe Covid » reasons, and ensuring no further such delays occur is my top priority and returning to our usual 3-4 working day delivery to France and neighbouring countries (which begins by never again relying on DPD but rather UPS).

Sorry to waffle on about things which, in the grand scheme of life, aren’t at all serious. However, as a shopkeeper who tries his best to be diligent and punctual, I hate to have any customer kept waiting – especially new ones, I feel, for whom their first S.E.H Kelly jacket or trousers has taken two weeks to reach them rather than a handful of days.

New trousers, anyway! And new jackets! Mid-layers! Shirts! Knitwear!

Maybe even a coat!

Ahem.

Paul

22 « J'aime »

Hello Paul

Thanks a lot for spending a bit of your time here and inform what you’ve through.

We hope the worse is behind you and we are keen on discovering your new items!!!

Take care and see you soon via a new order!

1 « J'aime »

Je traduis :
Hum hum
DPD c’est nul et ceux qui attendent leur commande ça va arriver, d’autres trucs vont être mis en ligne prochainement en plus de ce qui a déjà été mis.

Ahem.

Paul

4 « J'aime »

Le monde est petit :sweat_smile: ; moi aussi il était dans mes favoris et j’hésitais (semble-t-il trop). Bravo :clap::clap:

Merci! Et désolé de te l’avoir piqué ^^ J’ai quand même chequé sur le topic Vinted avant que personne ne se soit déjà manifesté pour le prendre.

1 « J'aime »

Thanks for the replies, and sorry, yes – I do seem to be « fishing for sympathy » rather!

Still, what can we do, eh? There are certain things beyond our control in life and fretting about them will get you nowhere.

We’re doing all we can to help the customers affected in a satisfactory manner, and doubling-down on ensuring everything runs smoothly from here on. And of course pushing on with production and development to ensure we balance out the bad.

10 « J'aime »

Aucun soucis, c’est la règle du jeu :ok_hand:

And now UPS have suspended shipments across to Europe!

Please raise your glass to Boris and team!

If anyone here can help personally with logistics — e.g. maybe someone has an uncle with lots of spare time and a mini-van — then please get in touch at the usual email address.

(In the meantime, we will go with DHL and Parcelforce.)

8 « J'aime »

Me again!

Over the past 48 hours, I’ve heard back some unpleasant stories of our customers across mainland Europe (the « EU » I think it is called) being charged huge sums of money to receive their orders.

I suffered the same with some jeans from Paris last week: paying £70 on top of the £200 they cost me because of handling fee and tax. The handling fee was about £15 and the rest was VAT. Of course, I already paid the sales tax to the Parisian jeans purveyor when I purchased them online … so in effect, I paid sales tax twice. Not good.

To this end, if anyone here has been charged VAT to receive our goods, please let me know, and we will refund it immediately. We will not refund handling fees, sorry, as that is out of our hands and is sadly the new rules of the game. However, I do not want any customer to paid VAT to the British government, and then tax or VAT again to M. Macron and company.

Let me know and I will refund it.

Furthermore, because these new tax rules are our new reality, and will inevitably be imposed more and more (right now I think we are in transition) we are hoping to introduce ex-VAT prices on our website for all customers outside the UK. In the meantime, we will operate post-sale refunds instead, on a case-by-case basis.

In short, no one here will ever pay more than a £5-20 handling fee to receive our stuff.

I hope soon I can start talking about mills and buttons again.

18 « J'aime »

thanks for the feedback Paul!
It’s quite a mess currently with that Brexit :frowning:
2 recent UK purchases were subject to VAT+fee at Belgian customs, while I did already pay it on the website… Peregrine refunded me back the VAT and the fee :slight_smile: but The Offsrping sent me back to the local custom office :roll_eyes:

Anyway, good luck for the coming weeks and, to come back on happier stuff, impatient to see the full SS21 collection :slight_smile:

1 « J'aime »

It is good you got one VAT refund at least. Respect to that company.

The SS21 collection, such as it is (we don’t really « do » collections, per se) is coming along ahead of schedule, and for the first year in many I don’t seem to have anyone at any factory to moan to or beg to or shout at. It’s great.

We are currently finishing off a new version of the flight jacket in weatherproof cotton (it has a detachable collar, and a peculiar raglan-like saddle shoulder, such as you tend normally to see only on knitwear).

We’ve also made a relatively large number of new shirts, in cotton, silk-linen, linen oxford, and linen suiting. Some have the granddad (i.e. no) collar, and some have the standard collar or new spread collar.

We are also building on our efforts to expand our range of spring-suitable mid-layers. The popover shirt is coming back in linen suiting next month, and we’ve just finished a new version of our smock (which debuted last year with a two-button henley neck, but this time will be a full pullover with side pockets, more in the style of hard-wearing coastal smocks). We might even have time to develop a « sleep shirt » this spring, which I have had in mind for quite some time – or it might slip back to autumn, depending on various schedules.

And new knitwear is currently being sampled! More of the same super-soft cotton as previous years, and the usual knitted styles we offer this time of year being honed and tweaked and returning in all the colours we like best.

And there’s a new car coat in work. It is part tielocken, part peacoat, and part its own thing (and in homage to the car coats favoured by used car salesmen in the south of England circa 1975.)

13 « J'aime »

Good luck ! As if the covid wasn’t hard enough, now there are the consequences of the Brexit to handle :frowning:

Not an easy time for sure .
Anyway can’t wait to discover your spring-suitably mid-layers, especially your new « with sides pockets » smock .

It’s just a hiccup in the grand scheme. I just like to have everything within my control, and I never like to have customers kept waiting or, perhaps even worse, « out of pocket ».

The smock is a very simple design on the face of it. We cut it like a traditional fisherman’s smock (as we call them over here: they are popular going back centuries in places like Cornwall). It is thus quite square and is cut off the shoulder (a « dropped shoulder », I mean). But we had some fun and original ideas here and there, with the neck and the pocket, and I hope it is a design which establishes itself as a perennial here at the workshop. That’s the plan, anyway!

2 « J'aime »

Really impressive to see/read a brand owner/creator/… taking time to exchange with the consumer (or should I say fan!)

I see some good stuff for spring/summer (if only I could push the wall to acomodate all my do wants ) but you didnt mentionned anything about trouser. For the moment I am on the hunt for some new pants and I would be really interessted if there are some Proper trousers in the pipeline for the coming weeks/months?

I would also take the opportunity to ask you if Brexit impact delivry to Switzerland (maineland yes but no-EU, welcome in the club!)? If in case, I decide (who knows) to take one or two items soon.

1 « J'aime »

Just doing my job!

We ship to Switzerland only once or twice a month, and I suspect you and your countrymen are well-versed in customs and handling fees. We haven’t heard anything about changes to shipping to Switzerland — either anecdotally, from our customers, or in any of the new government literature regarding post-Brexit exports. It should be the same as always.

We have lots of new slim trousers newly made. Some of them are on the website already (at the very top of the shop page) and a couple more will appear in two or three days: alternative colours of those already there.

We made some shorts at the same time as the new slim trousers, on the same « block ». They are in heavy linen burlap (the same two colours as https://www.sehkelly.com/shorts-in-linen-burlap-in-dark-navy/ and https://www.sehkelly.com/shop/shorts-in-linen-burlap-in-dark-olive/) and in cotton-linen « union » hopsack (the same two colours as https://www.sehkelly.com/pyjama-top-in-cotton-linen-hopsack-in-cedar/ and https://www.sehkelly.com/pyjama-top-in-cotton-linen-hopsack-in-petrol-grey/.)

In the meantime, we have been redeveloping both our standard trousers (which are anything but standard: they need a new name) and our proper trousers. Both will be the same cut and 90% the same in design, but with a few tweaks here and there, with new pockets, slightly new fronts, and a few other alterations to keep them up to date with current state of our workshop design.

I am not sure when the developments will be complete (although the standard trousers are first in the queue). However, between now and maybe the end of March, you will see one of the two cuts of trousers made in the same corduroy as the DB jacket, the same tropical worsted as the two most recent SB3 jackets, and then some nice heavy linen suiting.

There was quite a long gap between the release of our proper trousers last autumn and the release of the new slim trousers this week. We had some production problems with the standard trousers in woollen materials which were intended to plug that gap. We’re now making up for lost time, and took the problems with the standard trousers as opportunity to spruce them up a little.

If any of the above might be of interest, you can always email me at paul@sehkelly.com and I can drop you a line when they’re closer to completion. (Same goes for anything else upcoming, near or far, of course.)

9 « J'aime »

If there was ever a project here on Styleforum to make one or two of our garments in the customised community-led manner which I understanding is these days very popular, what would it be?

A tielocken with three sleeves?

A balmacaan but twice as long?

A trouser, jacket, and waistcoat three-piece made with uncleaned fleeces shorn from beasts roaming the Inner Hebrides?

Any suggestions serious or silly welcome.

Je me permet de partager un des posts de @sehkelly-paul sur styleforum. En gros il demande quelles pièces on aimerait voir chez SEH Kelly.

J’ai personnellement répondu un balmacaan plus long, aux genoux ou en dessous et un costume casual/workwear 3 pièces dans une matière bien texturée. Mais je serais curieux d’avoir vos idées aussi !

3 « J'aime »

Same, un balmacann en donegal bien long et raglan en charcoal j’achète de suite !

2 « J'aime »