S.E.H Kelly - British countries

Pareil : le Balmacaan plus long
Ressortir aussi des cardigans
J’serais aussi curieux de voir quelle interprétation ils donneraient au gilet

1 « J'aime »

Oh no.

If the balmacaan isn’t longer next time around, we were are upsetting a lot of people, aren’t we?

1 « J'aime »

And I’m not sure if translations are failing me — quite likely — but we do offer a cardigan already, which over the years we’ve made into something simple-looking but monstrously complicated (for hand-framed knitwear) – e.g. https://www.sehkelly.com/cardigan-in-cashmere-cotton-in-night-sky/.

It has a split-sleeve (a raglan derivative) and those seam-to-seam pockets, and a knitted elbow-patch hand-linked onto the under-arm.

It’s coming back again in a few weeks or maybe months in cotton. We’ve made a couple of changes this time, such as eliminating the top button to lower the button stance.

When we develop a new style now, knitwear or otherwise, we try to live up to the same level of novel details or « quality of life » details. Thus while we often think about a heavier cardigan or other form of knitwear, we try to think how it can be made interesting and different, not only to what is available currently elsewhere, but also relative to the other pieces in our collection. It is only really when a bunch of ideas coagulate into such a form that we choose to proceed (or not) with its development.

4 « J'aime »

It seems there would be a reasonable chunk of your customers who would jump on it at least :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t be disappointed if you think it doesn’t fit in the whole S.E.H Kelly esthetics you worked so hard to build. But if it does in your eyes, save me one!

Save me one as well if you lengthen the balmacaan :heart_eyes:

1 « J'aime »

Perhaps one for me to !
Cardigans are well done … just need one and there no longer my size :wink:

I would also join the club!

1 « J'aime »

Looks like a lot of folks are expecting longer balmacaans :smiling_imp:

1 « J'aime »

A longer and double breasted version of the Balmacaan. Maybe it would not still be technically a balmacaan, but I’m dying for a raglan double breasted coat!

Le trench coat est pas très loin

A double-breasted balmacaan? Now that would be a serious coat!

I guess it would look like those (vintage) double-breasted work jackets you sometimes see — usually French, I think, in vintage stores. But of course with a much bigger collar and much longer.

I think you have designed an impressive new species of outerwear there, sir.

8 « J'aime »

I would add (wide) double pleated trousers to the list!

2 « J'aime »

A béret ? Wool béret !!!

2 « J'aime »

@sehkelly-paul for the wool béret, @ChairBleue can help you : DIY (do it yourself) :wink:

Trust me — we will leave berets to the French!

11 « J'aime »

Well, thank you, but I had some help in coming up with that idea :slight_smile: DeBonneFacture has something like this: Grandad trench coat - French local wools - Grey & brown herringbone– De Bonne Facture but I already have a more classical coat using the same wool (and the price tag is too high for my purse), and Bastong, a corean brand, also has one (138) but I don’t like the collar. I’d be really interested in your take of this combination.

What about shoes ? In most of your shootings, models (including yourself) are wearing Tricker’s.
You could start the project from the same classic derby pattern, and add your twist to it ; eg. Molloy tweed patches on the uppers, or a textured leather from CF Stead in a subdued colour.
You could design a fancy lacing system that wouldn’t alter the overall pattern (things could get tricky — and costly — otherwise).
Also, you would have plenty of english-made options when it comes to outsoles ; either oak bark tanned leather by J&FJ Baker, or rubber Ridgeway’s … but please no studded Dainite’s !
I know shoes are a whole different line of work, but a collaboration with a well-established Northampton maker would spare you the harder parts and could even make the experience quite fun. And the outcome would likely sell well.

Besides shoes, I concur with the fellows in the messages above : a longer balmacaan, a shawl collar cardigan, and double pleat trousers would be nice additions to your lineup.

7 « J'aime »

We have thought about shoes before, and been strongly encouraged by our agent in Japan!

I am quite conservative and so only really wear Tricker’s shoes and Clarks Originals. I also like many of the other classic Northampton shoe makers. And since we’re bounded in design by what we ourselves would wish to wear, that really limits our options to … the aforementioned. And they’re all very well covered already by other brands, collaborations, and « spins » on their existing formulae.

Never say never, of course, but the avenues for creative expression are a bit limited (whereas with a coat we can begin literally from scratch; with shoes our starting-point would be a pair of another brand’s brogues).

I do like the idea of working more with tanneries like J&FJ Baker, though. What a place!

10 « J'aime »

Love your philosophy !

While typing the previous message, I actually thought to myself "those shoes would sell out fast in Japan :money_mouth_face: " … traditional british footwear dutifully revisited by british creative minds … the Japanese would certainly appreciate such a project.

Which Clark’s Originals do you wear ?
Wallabees ? Our forum’s admin has been a big proponent of this odd looking shoe for years. As you most likely know, although the original irish manufacturer of the Wallabees (Padmore & Barnes) has kept the original lasts and the rights to use them, unfortunately the production itself has been transferred to Portugal.
Desert Boots ? Crown Northampton sells an interesting range of desert boots & derbies ; the leather uppers are sewn at their Northampton factory, while a much smaller operation located out of Northamptonshire lasts the shoes and stitches the soles. This nearly 1 man workshop was also involved in the production of Clark’s 65th anniversary Made in England desert boots … of which I own a pair (unapologetic bragging).
Taking your brand’s ethos into consideration, using imported crepe would be an issue … I doubt there is a british crepe producer … italian, yes … and your french alter ego could source an even better alternative at Lactae Hevea / Reltex, a factory at the foot of the french Alps.

As for shoes being a relatively limited outlet for creative expression : in fact, just like with a coat, you could design a pair of shoes from scratch. Have Springline make a last just for you. Inject your creative flair into a unique yet classic pattern. Select a rare leather at CF Stead and have it dyed so it matches your colour palette. If relevant design-wise, insert one of your beloved british fabrics (eg. on the shaft of a boot, or on the quarter of a shoe). Add J&FJ Baker soles. Have fun with small decorative details, like brass nails patterns on the soles, or something less shiny. And voilà, you just made proper S.E.H Kelly shoes ! Ok, I make it sound easy, but the whole process would be quite a ride. And, obviously, it would cost more than using an already existing pair as a starting-point. Not sure if it would be worth all the effort and expenses (the Japanese would strongly disagree with that statement).

Anyway, to conclude this morning chatter : I’d be really curious to see the shoes you could come up with. Your impeccable taste and overall thoroughness could definitely be applied to shoes, and, whether you would create a pair from scratch or customize an already existing model, the outcome would benefit from your distinctive touch.

14 « J'aime »